Thursday, July 7, 2011

Connection With Strings


Looking onto the third idea where I will be mainly using strings that creates the backbone of the outline of a tree and leaves.


Drawings of ideas of how the strings were to be attached around the outline of a tree. Here, I showed different side of views how it will be looked like and how it will stand upright. With cut edges along the outline of the tree to secure the strings as it goes around and about to create the backbone of the tree.


One of the prototype that I have made where I used a mounting board as the outline of a leaf as it is fairly strong to hold onto the strings that wraps around it through these cut edges at the sides of the outline of the leaf. However, the previous strings that I have attached to it somehow became loose and making the leaf into a unique formation.


And so, I started to use metal as it will hold the strings better. Using a used lamp as part of my experimentations where I started off cutting the shades cover. The lamp has two separate sections where I try to make an abstract of a tree where the shade acts as the tree top whereas the bottom part is the bottom part of a tree.


I then started making the shape of the lampshades with strings until it is evenly covered. The strings are in green color so as to made it looked like a tree.



The object then becomes a new meaning with the application of a new material being introduced to it where it opens up many narratives possibilities. The lamp expresses a feeling and sentiment by virtue of the lights that displays an array of shadows from the strings that creates an effect around it.The lamp is trying to somehow explain, in times full of arbitrariness, that it can be beautiful when the shapes are there, not just because I like the looks of it, but because it has a meaning and another alternative interpretation of the lamp that it kindly describes how we interpret the biodiversity world.

No comments:

Post a Comment